Sport is a global language understood by millions of people. Daily, matches are being played and are watched live and via digital screens by lovers of sports and online sports betting. In the UK, you can follow your favourite teams across various tournaments and take advantage of the best betting strategies to wager on them. Stay with us as we introduce you to the fundamentals of online betting.
Understanding the Basics of Sports Betting
Betting on sports is the act of predicting the occurrence of a specific outcome in a game. This is accompanied by a stake which has the potential to pay out more if your prediction is successful. When getting into this form of gambling, you should know what betting markets are and what they imply. Some of the most common bets you can place at UK sports betting platforms include the following.
- Moneyline: it is probably the simplest and most popular bet to go for. A moneyline is a wager on the winner of a single game. If Manchester City are playing Bayern Munich and you place a moneyline on the Citizens, then you get paid if they win the encounter.
- Points spread: to explain this bet, let’s assume that Leicester City are hosting a Premier League game against Arsenal and that the Gunners are the favourites by 2.5 goals. For your point spread to be won, Arsenal must win the game by at least three goals.
- Over/under: it is another popular bet type to go for especially when you’re not sure either team will carry the day. A total under bet of 2 means not more than 2 goals will be scored by both teams during the encounter.
- Outright winner: this bet is like the moneyline but for the fact that it entails predicting the overall winner of a championship or competition. The outright winner market often has the most generous odds at the early stages of a tournament.
Note that in each bet, you will often be presented with betting odds mainly as fractions though some bookies use decimals too. Let’s say the odds for the game Chelsea Vs Real Madrid is 13⁄8 and 8⁄5 for their respective victories. If you bet £10 on the Blues, your potential winnings will be (13⁄8) x £10 = £16.25. This means the bookie will pay you £26.25 (£16.25 winnings + £10 wager).
Choosing the Right Betting Site
Once you understand how to interpret odds for different bet markets, the next thing you might want to do is join a betting site. There are so many sports betting platforms open to UK punters, but the question is how to get the right one. A few things you can check out include:
- Reputation: you can almost always rely on what other users say to determine what kind of gambling experience is offered at an online sportsbook. By checking reviews, you can learn about how a bookie treats their customers when issues arise or if they can be relied upon to payout winnings accordingly.
- License: as you probably know, there exist institutions that have the power to regulate the activities of sports betting sites that operate in the UK. Mostly, UK bookies will hold a license to operate issued by the UK Gambling Commission. To learn more about what you stand to profit by betting at a licensed sportsbook, visit this website.
- Promotions: most sports betting platforms have adopted the practice of giving perks to their members. The most common of these is the welcome bonus which is often a free bet awarded after your first deposit or first bet. You should always check the specific t&cs of an offer to know what it takes to be eligible and what are the wagering conditions.
- Odds: as you get to experience more online gambling, you’ll quickly realize that some sports betting sites have better odds than others. If you’re seeking to join a sportsbook, it might be wise to compare odds to see which are more competitive.
- Customer service: it is an important aspect that must not be underestimated. Reputable bookies will often provide an email and a live chat link via which you can get some assistance.
Some of the top UK sports betting platforms you can choose from include Betiton, Betway, William Hill, and LeoVegas Sports. These sites are licensed and cover 20+ different sports including football, basketball, golf, hockey, and MMA.
Tips for Successful Online Sports Betting in the UK
There’s more to betting on sports than catches the eye and that’s probably why some bettors are more successful than others. Here are a few betting tips on how to make the most of your wagers.
- Bankroll management: betting on sports calls for money expenses and if you’re going to get involved, it’s imperative to set a budget and stick to it.
- Focusing on specific sports and leagues: it can be a smart move to bet only on sports or leagues that you follow. This can prevent you from being dispersed over the thousands of events offered by online bookies.
- Research and analysis: it is extremely important to understand the nature of each team and their players to maximize your chances of doing proper analysis.
- The value of shopping for the best odds and lines: odds fluctuate without warning so it might be good to keep an eye on them to spot the right moment to place a bet.
In addition to the above, bear it in mind that sometimes playing at home can have an added advantage in collective sports like football.
The Significance of Keeping a Betting Record To Track Performance
Believe it or not, it is important to keep a record of your betting performance. This can give you an overview of how well you’ve been doing and help you identify aspects you could work on. A few popular betting strategies include arbitrage betting and matched betting.